On October 18th, one of the most awaited events in innovation will begin again in Rome! Maker Faire Rome, now in its seventh edition, is the recurring event organised by InnovaCamera, a Special Agency of the Rome Chamber of Commerce.
Their mission is to place the city of Rome at the centre of the debate on innovation, by spreading the digital culture, and developing the individual and collective entrepreneurship that is so integral to the Maker movement’s genetic makeup.
Maker Faire Rome combines science, science fiction, technology, entertainment and business to create something totally new.
It’s an event created to cater to curious participants of all ages, wishing to experience first-hand the makers’ inventions. Inventions that are the result of a desire to solve everyday problems, whether big or small.
Not just a fair for field experts. At Maker Faire, everyone will find inventions in the field of science and technology (from 3D printers to wearables, through to drones, robots and digital manufacturing), but also new forms of art, entertainment, crafts, food experiments and attractions never seen before.
For the seventh time since 2013, Maker Faire Rome relaunches its Call for Makers to turn to the spotlight on hundreds of projects from around the world that are able to catapult visitors into the future. The main thematic areas of the call will be:
- Inventors and innovators: innovative products, prototypes, patents, research projects, startups, crowdfunding. When makers want to meet the market, they must come to Maker Faire Rome! Every year we build the future together.
- Innovative craftsmen: tools and techniques for digital fabrication, from 3D printing to CNC machines, from creative woodworking and metalworking to digital techniques for fashionand design, but also high quality craft products and any process involving hand-making.
- Electronics: from microcontrollers to retrocomputing, from sensors to Internet of Things, from circuit bending to hacking, from machine learning to open hardware.
- Food and agriculture: innovation in food (including machines, robotics, techniques for preparation and conservation) and agriculture (agro-tech, rural innovation, automation, monitoring).
- Robotics and intelligent machines: from wheel robots to animatronics, from humanoids to Goldberg machines, from artificial intelligence to industrial automation.
- Health and quality of life: projects for improving life of disabled people, biomedical products, accessories for sport, projects about human body.
- Art, interaction and games: projects using light, darkness, sound, music; robotic art, creative coding, musical instruments, virtual reality and interactive installations.
- Science, chemistry, engineering: science exhibits and experiments, laboratories and shows for kids and adults.
- Sustainability, Circular Economy, Bioeconomy, Green TECH, Smart Energy Green Building:from renewables to upcycling, from recycling of materials to repair culture, from water and environment, from green architecture and smart mobility. Open Source: from Open Source Hardware (OSHW) to Open Design, collaboration and sharing has always been one of the key points of maker movement
- Large-scale projects: innovative or playful, static or moving, sculptural or technologic, giant projets are always the great attraction that visitors always remember.
- FabLab & Community: maker laboratories, gathering places for experimentation, maker groups and communities about technologies and creativity.
- Spaceflight and its applications: ideas, technologies and prototypes for a more valuable exploitation on ground and in flight of space environment benefits and for a more effective, both human and robotic, exploration of the Solar System
- Projects about this year’s topic: future belongs to everyone, innovation (when open, inclusive, bottom-up) is the only way for a better world.
- …and then drones, bicycles, projects for cultural heritage, photography, security and any other topic not listed here.
Everyone can apply to the Call for Makers by July 8th! For further information, visit the official website of Maker Faire Rome.